Piano maker and music seller. He acquired the business of George Garcka in January 1793 at the corner of Edward Street and Wardour Street. Trading as Bates & Company in 1793. The business only survived for about 12 months. James Henry Houston also traded at the same address. Nine square pianos inscribed Bates & Co. are known to have survived.